Xbow Necro help

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Xbow Necro help Empty Xbow Necro help

Post by taem Thu Feb 20, 2014 8:16 am

I haven't played one of these since 1.F9, so I have some q's  Scratch ... and may have more later on.

Basic Assumption:
1. So up first, is it true that ALL missiles in the xbow tree are wdm and don't benefit from +% element damage mystic orbs?

Regarding: Elemental Damage
2. If I had a charm with +100 fire and had +100% fire damage from mystic orbs and was using VooDoo Shot, my necro would only do 100 fire damage, not 200?
2.a. In the same vein, if I was using Dragon Fire Oil and it added 1000 fire damage to my attacks and I had +100% fire damage from mystic orbs, I'd only do 1000 fire damage?

3. So, Dragon Fire Oil just applies flat fire damage?
3.a. If I were using a melee toon and had Dragon Fire Oil doing 1000 fire damage to my attacks and I had +100% fire damage from mystic orbs, then would I be doing 2000 fire damage?

4. Deaths Fury Totem adds flat elemental damage to ones attack. It also adds +%elemental damage which is supposedly added to the totem to increase it's overall effect. Do xbow skills receive the flat added elemental damage from Deaths Fury Totem?
4.a. If so, does the Deaths Fury Totem benefit from it's own +%elemental damage when used by the xbow necro?

5. Shadows enhance a parties elemental damage. Like the other questions above, if you have +elemental damage from charms, do they benefit from the shadows +%elemental damage aura when using an xbow?
5.a. Similar question, but with Dragon Fire Oil instead of damage from charms?

Regarding: Deathlord
6. I've been seeing a lot of talk lately of toons using Deathlord when their main skill is either an 0-skill from a javelin - such as the Disco Necro in Guides, or an xbow skill. How does this work when Deathlord says it only works with melee and summoning?

Regarding: Leech and Damage
7. Do xbow skills benefit from Life Leech from Famine?
7.a. How about from the Enhanced Damage from Famine?
7.b. If the answer to question 6a is yes, then why can xbow skills benefit from +physical damage, but not +elemental damage?

Regarding: Reanimates
8. Are my kills from xbow skills capable of triggering "on kill" effects, such as 1% chance to raise skeleton?
8.a. If yes, then I assume this also works with Talons Hold?
8.b. And Life/Mana After Each Kill?

Misc.:
9. Anything else I need to know before playing this game again and trying the xbow necro? As in, what did I forget that is specific to xbow necros?

Thanks for any/all replies ahead of time.
taem
taem
Dark Nephalem

https://sites.google.com/site/monkeymeatsauce/

Back to top Go down

Xbow Necro help Empty Re: Xbow Necro help

Post by Kaljurei Thu Feb 20, 2014 9:16 am

I can't answer all the questions, but here you go.

1. So up first, is it true that ALL missiles in the xbow tree are wdm and don't benefit from +% element damage mystic orbs? - Yes. Can't be sure about % element damage but they are all WDM.

7. Do xbow skills benefit from Life Leech from Famine? - Yes as long as they are Physical, which I think they are.
7.a. How about from the Enhanced Damage from Famine? - Yes as long as they are Physical, which I think they are.

8. Are my kills from xbow skills capable of triggering "on kill" effects, such as 1% chance to raise skeleton? - Yes.
8.a. If yes, then I assume this also works with Talons Hold? - Yes, but you won't slow them IIRC as I think that works only with Melee attacks?
8.b. And Life/Mana After Each Kill? - Yes.

I think the FAQ/LFAQ/Mechanics guide may also be able to answer most of your questions.

Misc.:
9. Anything else I need to know before playing this game again and trying the xbow necro? As in, what did I forget that is specific to xbow necros?

I wasn't able to answer the Deathlord question, but I don't believe it's possible to use Deathlord with XBow Necros. However, your playstyle will depend on what skill you're using - Buckshot/Voodoo Shot. Voodoo Shot relies on reanimates/summons, Buckshot is just you at almost Melee range, so gear is somewhat different as you may have to focus on %Minion Life/Resists. Buckshot fires an insane number of missiles so 100% CB is awesome, etc.

Kaljurei
Darkwarden

Back to top Go down

Post by archon256 Thu Feb 20, 2014 9:51 am

taem wrote:I haven't played one of these since 1.F9, so I have some q's  Scratch ... and may have more later on.

Basic Assumption:
1. So up first, is it true that ALL missiles in the xbow tree are wdm and don't benefit from +% element damage mystic orbs?
Yes

Regarding: Elemental Damage
2. If I had a charm with +100 fire and had +100% fire damage from mystic orbs and was using VooDoo Shot, my necro would only do 100 fire damage, not 200?
Yes

2.a. In the same vein, if I was using Dragon Fire Oil and it added 1000 fire damage to my attacks and I had +100% fire damage from mystic orbs, I'd only do 1000 fire damage?
Yes

3. So, Dragon Fire Oil just applies flat fire damage?
Yes
3.a. If I were using a melee toon and had Dragon Fire Oil doing 1000 fire damage to my attacks and I had +100% fire damage from mystic orbs, then would I be doing 2000 fire damage?
Yes, but only on the direct melee hit. Any missiles that are created as a result of the melee hit (like Parasite's bouncing orb) will not carry the elemental damage bonus. This is a D2 limitation, but the end result in MXL is that %elemental damage is mainly a caster stat, or a stat for weapon-builds that rely on spell procs.

4. Deaths Fury Totem adds flat elemental damage to ones attack. It also adds +%elemental damage which is supposedly added to the totem to increase it's overall effect. Do xbow skills receive the flat added elemental damage from Deaths Fury Totem?
4.a. If so, does the Deaths Fury Totem benefit from it's own +%elemental damage when used by the xbow necro?
The %elemental damage on DFT and the %fire damage on Dragonfire Oil is different from the %elemental damage we've been talking about. These are just ways that the flat damage given to you scales based on the hard points into the skill. So a DFT with 1000 fire damage and +100% hard point synergy will add 2000 fire damage to your weapon damage. This synergy only applies to that particular skill, not to other sources of ele damage. Think of it as two stats on an item saying "This item adds 1000 fire damage" "The fire damage granted by this item is doubled"

5. Shadows enhance a parties elemental damage. Like the other questions above, if you have +elemental damage from charms, do they benefit from the shadows +%elemental damage aura when using an xbow?
5.a. Similar question, but with Dragon Fire Oil instead of damage from charms?
Now this elemental damage is the same as the one you get from gear, and is not a hard-point synergy. It won't apply on missiles for flat ele damage from gear, charms or Dragonfire Oil, as stated above.

Regarding: Deathlord
6. I've been seeing a lot of talk lately of toons using Deathlord when their main skill is either an 0-skill from a javelin - such as the Disco Necro in Guides, or an xbow skill. How does this work when Deathlord says it only works with melee and summoning?
What, really? That shouldn't be possible... I've been using the Death Shards oskill on mine, I'll try Deathlord later, but I don't think it should work, the skill gets locked out by lolcat aura so Deathlord should be the same.

Regarding: Leech and Damage
7. Do xbow skills benefit from Life Leech from Famine?
7.a. How about from the Enhanced Damage from Famine?
Yes
7.b. If the answer to question 6a is yes, then why can xbow skills benefit from +physical damage, but not +elemental damage?
I'm guessing you mean +% and not just +. D2 limitation

Regarding: Reanimates
8. Are my kills from xbow skills capable of triggering "on kill" effects, such as 1% chance to raise skeleton?
8.a. If yes, then I assume this also works with Talons Hold?
8.b. And Life/Mana After Each Kill?
Yes
archon256
archon256
Amazon Warrior

I Am Someone

Back to top Go down

Post by taem Thu Feb 20, 2014 12:08 pm

Thanks guys! Just the answers I was looking for! One last question regarding elemental damage: I've noticed many xbows have elemental damage on the bow itself. If the xbow itself reaps the benefits from sources of +physical damage such as the Famine skill, then would elemental damage on the bow itself benefit from +% elemental damage, or does it still follow the laws Archon laid out for soirces of elemental damage?

And one more actually... if shadows enhances dft damage, will that enhanced elemental damage be applied to to the missile, or will it only recieve the flat, unenhanced dft damage?
taem
taem
Dark Nephalem

Back to top Go down

Post by archon256 Thu Feb 20, 2014 4:55 pm

taem wrote:would elemental damage on the bow itself benefit from +% elemental damage
Nope

taem wrote:f shadows enhances dft damage, will that enhanced elemental damage be applied to to the missile, or will it only recieve the flat, unenhanced dft damage?
The latter.

The way it works is that all sources of flat damage are added together (including the hard-point synergies of skills) for each entity in the game (you, your minions, reanimates, monsters etc.) and then if the entity does a melee attack all the elemental damage it does is affected by sources of %ele damage and all the phys damage is boosted by %EWD and %ED.

But if it fires a missile, the missile itself only "remembers" the flat damage, %EWD, %ED and WDM. The %ele damage info simply isn't carried by the missile, so when it hits the game doesn't have that info to do its damage calculation.

Therefor the Shadow boost to DFT is useful for your minions (all melee) and any melee reanimates you have. It also boosts the damage of any spells you proc, but is useless for the actual ele damage carried by your xbow bolts.
archon256
archon256
Amazon Warrior

I Am Someone

Back to top Go down

Post by taem Thu Feb 20, 2014 5:19 pm

I'll give both you guys cookies tomorrow and the next day. Thanks for your help!
taem
taem
Dark Nephalem

Back to top Go down

Post by Kaljurei Thu Feb 20, 2014 5:26 pm

I don't deserve a cookie, archon is the mechanics god here Razz

Kaljurei
Darkwarden

Back to top Go down